Okay, I have to share a delightful little thing I’ve stumbled upon. It’s called FreeCycle and it’s basically a place where you can give or get things for FREE. You simply go to the FreeCycle website to find a group near you (there are over 5,100 groups in the US, by the way). Then just type in your city or zip code and it’ll pull up groups that are in close proximity to you. The Arlington, VA group that I belong to has almost 9,000 members alone!
How Does FreeCycle Work?
Here’s the process, in 5 simple steps:
1. You put an offer up in the Yahoo Group that has a subject like this – OFFER: 5 Bottles of Bubbles
2. The offers are sent to the group member’s email and if someone’s interested, they’ll email you. You then get to decide who receives it (perhaps the one who emails first or the one who makes the most compelling case).
3. You post a message in the group like this: TAKEN: 5 Bottles of Bubbles
4. You arrange a pick-up time. The other members are always in a specific geographic region, so you know you won’t be driving far for pickup.
5. The item exchanges hands and avoids the dumpster!
And here’s the best part. Not only can you make offers, you can also ask for specific things! If you want to inquire about something, your post looks like this – WANTED: Old Magazines
I just love this concept because the recipient comes and takes it off your hands. You also can give away things that might not be accepted at Goodwill, etc. We’ve both offered and received something so far, so I can verify that the system works. No weirdness on either the pickup or the drop-off. And of course it’s free to join! Is that cool, or what??
In case you’re curious, we gave away some brand new men’s hygiene products and we received a vacuum after posting a WANTED inquiry.
Anyone participate in this? Definitely go to FreeCycle and see if there’s a group near you. You’ll be amazed at what people give away for free!