Guess what arrived in the mail as my very first Birthday gift??? The biggest box of Retro ’80s candy I had ever seen!! Thanks to my oh-so-hip in-laws, I was the recipient of an assortment of popular candy from my childhood. I tell you, I was tickled pink by all the memories that came with this thoughtful gift.
Here are some of my favorite ones that emerged:
- Getting a goody-bag of treats for the 90 minute drive home every time we visited Grandma (we always politely overlooked the fact that some of the candy was quite stale)
- Spending entire afternoons biking to Snyder’s Drug Store with the neighbor kids to pick out a treat (we could peruse their selection for hours, I tell you)
- Begging my mom to let me try candy cigarettes (as you might imagine that was a big, fat N-O)
- Enjoying a candy necklace on a perfect summer’s day
- Buying Laffy Taffy’s for 1 cent at the Campground store and then getting them stuck in your teeth
I had forgotten how many good memories were associated with candy! Do share a few of your favorite stories that these images spark! I segmented the items I got into two categories: the favorites are on the top and the “just ok” ones are on the bottom.
Which ones were your top picks? Any you’d forgotten about? I want to see some discussion going on this!
PS- Just in case you were wondering, I had to share the joy of this much candy with the kiddos in my life. I picked out a few of the most unique ones for Norma to take home to her daughter (Pop Rocks, Candy Necklace, Fizzies). Can I just say that those were a HUGE hit with 2 year old Norland!
Then, after getting my fill of sugar, I took the remaining ones to Friendship Home and used them as prizes for my Birthday Bingo game. I couldn’t stop laughing as they spit out the Atomic Fireballs and Good ‘n Plenty’s after trying them for the first time. I love knowing that the response to those candies is universal! :) Definitely an acquired taste…