Well folks. One week down, 103 to go. As with any new place I arrive in, there’s always a few things I love, a few things I hate and a few things that just make me scratch my head in bewilderment. Without further ado, here’s my list of The Good, the Bad and the Bizzarre of Lima.
- Grocery stores that look like Whole Foods with the added bonus of meat in forms that I know how to cook with. (ie: No more whole raw chickens or fish that need deboning)
- 60-75 degree temps that never make you sweat.
- The potato originated in Peru (and happens to be my favorite food). It is rumored that the Peruvians have come up with over 300 ways to serve a potato! I intend to try as many variations as is humanly possible in my two years here.
- Road rage like I’ve never seen before – can’t believe I actually have to join the madness in 3 short months when our car arrives. Pray for me.
- Daily communication failures that make me want to pound my head on the wall.
- No more celebrity status. Peruvians are not wowed by my American citizenship like the Filipinos were.
- I had to get fingerprinted in order to get a $10 SIM card for my mobile phone.
- Mobile Car Washers! There are people who independently work in parking lots and wash your car (in its spot, mind you) while you shop in the mall. I will definitely get you a picture of this so you can see it for yourself.
- The absurd number of keys per house (ours has 24).