Last night I had the good fortune of attending Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Ball. I’m not a huge concert-goer but I’ll make the splurge for truly exceptional performers like Lady Gaga who really put on a show. As expected, it was one giant theatrical spectacular – complete with strobe lights, glittery costumes and lots and lots of fog. There’s so much spectacle, in fact, that you start to expect something bizarre to happen every 2-3 minutes, whether it’s a grandiose entrance, a meat couch or a bra gun.
Here’s a 2 for 1: Meat Couch + Bra Gun
I’m going to keep it simple and break the night down by Likes and Dislikes. I’m a glass half full gal, so we’ll start with the Likes.
- 2 hours of incredible performance. You may not like her or find her weird, but it’s impossible to deny her talent. That girl can sing and dance!
- The funky motorcycle piano (see photo below)
- No belligerent drunks
- The costumes and spectacle
- Her attempts at Spanish
- The fact that only 1/3 of the stadium was full (in fact, we got asked to move closer so it would look more full)
- A really mellow crowd – it really changes the dynamic when everyone’s far apart and the stadium’s not full
- The high price of the tickets ($70 for the cheapest – no wonder it was only a 1/3 full)
- The 10:30 PM start (1 hour late due to being stuck in traffic & technical issues – the right screen wasn’t working)
- 4 hours spent outside in the cold
- I like Gaga’s message of inclusion and diversity in general, but it got a bit preachy and cryptic at times. In fact, some of it just didn’t make sense at all. Maybe it was a good thing that most of the crowd didn’t speak English…