Nick and I had been debating the merits of taking a video camera with us to Manila. Initially, we were looking at full-size HD cameras, but then we stumbled upon the pocket camcorder. We ended up purchasing the Kodak zi6 HD pocket video camera for $179 at Best Buy. We’re planning to take it around on the streets of Manila to shoot everyday life (instead of just taking it with to the tourist destinations). It really feels like an everyday video camera and the price makes it much easier to swallow if it gets lost or stolen! If you’d like to see a sample of the video quality, scroll back a few weeks on the blog and check out the 3 wedding videos. Those were all done using this camera!
Here’s a rundown of some of the features we like about it:
- Small enough to fit in your purse or pocket
- Great entry-level price (not a high investment in the event that we don’t shoot much video)
- Quick uploading to You Tube via the pop-out USB connector (see above picture)
- Minimal, easy-to-use buttons
- Shoots HD video (720 p)
- Utilizes an SD card instead of an internal hard-drive, allowing you to take longer videos (you purchase the SD card separately). The flip Mino, for example, typically can shoot 2 hours of video before it’s full and you need to download the content to your computer